Thursday, October 27, 2016

Story: An oriole's adventure

(Bird nest with eggs: Pixabay)


Hi, my name is Timmy. Here I am, sitting in this dark oval-shaped room. It is so spacious, warm, and comfy. It’s usually really peaceful in here but sometimes it feels like there is so much more beyond this oval-shaped room. As the days go by, this room seems to be getting so much smaller. It’s not as comfortable either. I like to stretch and move around, although it is kind of hard to do since this space is getting so small.

One day as I was stretching, I accidentally hit the wall and it began to crack. I was surprised because I usually stretch and it would be fine, but today was different. I could see light peeking through the cracks. As I was curious to see what was out there, I began to move around until the oval-shaped room wasn’t a room anymore.

As I looked around me, there were two other baby orioles right next to me. I got really excited because I wasn’t the only one there. As minutes passed, another baby oriole popped out of its egg. In total, there were five of us. We all talked to each other although it may have just sounded like a bunch of chirps.

I suddenly felt really hungry.

“Is anyone else hungry? I am starving!” I asked my siblings.
They all replied, “Yes!”

 “Okay, let’s find out where Mom and Dad are!”

Since we couldn’t really move and our bodies were not fully developed we couldn’t go anywhere. We all decided to chirp and call out for our parents. Minutes later, I could see my mom flying towards us.

“Hello, my babies, I knew you would be here soon. Here are some beetles and grasshoppers. Eat these while I go and find more food,” said my mother.

As I finished the piece I had, I looked up and Dad was flying towards us. I was still hungry. It’s weird because when I was still in that oval-shaped room I was never hungry.  Dad brought us some delicious fruits. I think he said they were called oranges, but they are definitely my favorite. After he gave them to us, he left to go find more food.

(Oriole eating an orange: Pixabay)

As the days went by, I noticed how each one of us began to grow feathers. My brother, who was bigger than us, grew his flight feathers before any of us did. He was able to leave the nest and find his own food. I sat there with the rest of my siblings just waiting until it was our turn. I wanted to see what was out there. My parents said it was dangerous but I just wanted to explore.

For some odd reason, I was the last one to grow my flight feathers and to also molt into my beautiful orange color. My mother said it was because I was special.

The day finally arrived and my mother told me I was ready to fly. I was kind of nervous but being the last one I was definitely ready to try this new thing out. The nest that I have been sitting on for about two weeks was on the branch of a pecan tree. As I stepped off of the branch I began to fly.

I was so amazed by everything I saw. There were so many trees, flowers, and other animals! I have never felt so free in my life. I was finally able to meet up with my family. They were all collecting nectar from a bunch of flowers. I never had nectar before so I found a flower and took its nectar.

“Wow, I have been missing out!” I told my family. “This is even better than the oranges!”

After we all had some nectar, my parents told us to gather ourselves and they asked if we were ready to see the rest of the world. I screamed with excitement. I didn’t know what to expect when I got out of my oval-shaped room but I have never been more excited. There is so much to see in this world.

“Before we leave, let’s all thank the pecan tree for keeping us all safe. The pecan tree is our good friend and before you go out into the real world I want you all to nest in the pecan tree. They will keep your eggs safe just like how they kept you all safe,” said Mom.

I asked my mother, “How come?”

Mom replied, “Long ago, the pecan tree kept an oriole family safe from a big storm and in return the father oriole warned the pecan tree that there was a cold coming so they shouldn’t put out their buds just yet. Ever since then, we have been great friends with pecan trees.”


After hearing this story from Mom, we all went to thank the pecan tree. He said we were welcome to come back any time and if we ever did pass by remember to say hi.

Well, I have to catch up with my family now because they are flying so fast. I wouldn’t want to lose them. I’ll let you all know how my next adventure goes!



Author’s Note: I was inspired to write this story after reading “The Pecan Tree’s Best Friend.” The story was about a pecan tree and a little oriole family that lived on the tree. The pecan tree liked the oriole family because they would eat the insects that ate the leaves and made holes in the tree. One day, there was a storm coming and the father oriole did not know what to do because his baby orioles were not able to fly yet. He was scared that that his children would get blown away by this storm. The pecan tree told him and his family to hide in the hole under his branch and they will be safe. By doing so, the storm passed and they were safe. In return, the father oriole told the pecan tree that there was a cold coming so he shouldn’t put out his buds. After this, orioles and pecan trees became really good friends.

I chose to write this story about a baby oriole and his experience from being in this egg to coming out into this world. I thought it would be interesting to write this in his point of view. Birds always seem so free to me because they are able to fly and see the world.



Bibliography: When the Storm God Rides: Tejas and Other Indian Legends retold by Florence Stratton and illustrated by Berniece Burrough (1936) Web source

7 comments:

  1. I really liked the beginning of your story. It's always good to start off in a surprising or new way, and your depiction of Timmy's hatching was great!

    Although there wasn't a great conflict for our main character, we still got to see him go through some of the little challenges that a new bird would have to face while growing up. This is another break from the norm which made your story nice to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your take on this story! It was interesting to hear the baby bird’s point of view and I really liked your description of the egg as being a “dark oval-shaped room.” I thought that was unique. The ending was also nice when the baby oriole flew after its family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really, really liked your story. I mean a lot! It was so different, descriptive and seemed magical to me. Maybe, it’s because I understood and can relate to the bird about freedom. I liked how the story was almost written as a journal/diary entry. I think that gives it a special quality and you conveyed the Orioles curiosity and happiness perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such a sweet story! It made me smile thinking about all of the birds learning how to fly. Even though he was last to leave, I like that his mom told him he was special! I love how innocent this story is. It was really refreshing to read. Plus your writing was perfect! Great job. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, great story! I really enjoyed the description of the chicks seeing the world for the first time. Sometimes it seems like we're so desensitized to everything and caught up in our worries, preventing us from taking in our surroundings. Your story was absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a really cute story. I love how little and carefree the baby bird was and especially how you described the the egg room at the beginning. I also really appreciate your two pictures cause I really didn't know what an oriole looked like at all. I might have liked if they had a little more interaction with the tree cause that was prominent in the main story but I think you chose not to focus on that and what you're written is really very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this story and found it to be very cute!
    I like that it is easy to read and the little bird is so exciting anticipating all his adventures in the world.
    I really enjoyed your description of the birds hatching. I think the way you depicted the shell was very unique.
    I personally would have liked to see some more dialouge among the birds and even the parents. Just what makes this little bird special since he was the last to grow feathers?
    I do wish there had been more interaction with the tree because that was a such a big focus of the original tale but over all very well done.
    I might suggest another read through just to catch a few mistakes. I believe there were a couple sentence that could use a little attention but nothing major.
    Really great job! I look forward to reading the rest of your portfolio.

    ReplyDelete