Thursday, October 6, 2016

Story: The lion and the rabbit

(Lion king: Pixabay)

In a world where only animals exist, there lived a lion. He was the king of all the animals. He was the mightiest of them all. “I am the greatest. I am smart. I am superior. Everyone shall obey me,” the lion thought. “I expect everyone to bow to me and worship me. For I am the king.”

The lion had this thought because he was in fact the mightiest of them all. He kept them safe from dangerous evil hyenas. The hyenas knew he was strong so they kept away from him and his kingdom.

Every morning the lion would go out and let out a loud roar. It was a reminder to let the animals know he was the king. The animals were expected to bow down to him and ask if they could serve him in any way. He expected all of them to do that every single morning.

One morning as he was doing his usual routine, he noticed a small rabbit lying down and not giving him attention. “Who is this foolish rabbit?” he thought. “I must punish this rabbit since he thinks he is more superior than me.”


“Who are you? Why are you not paying obeisance to the king? You must be punished,” the lion said to the rabbit.

(Rabbit: Pixabay)

The rabbit responded, “I have already made my obeisance to the king, and that is not you.”

The lion was furious. “How dare this little rabbit disrespect me like that? He is safe from hyenas because of me,” he thought. “Who is this king that you are talking about?” the lion asked the rabbit.

“On my way here I stumbled upon a large lion. He told me that he was the king and everyone shall obey him because he is much stronger than you. He said you are weak and he can definitely destroy you,” the rabbit said to the lion.

Hearing this from the rabbit made the lion more angry. “Who would ever dare to say this? I am the only lion in this kingdom. Where would this lion have come from?” the lion thought. He was confused and wanted to meet this other lion. He had to show them who the real king was.

“Bring me to this lion. I want to show him that I am stronger. I am the king and no one will take my place,” the lion told the rabbit.

The rabbit agreed to take the lion and lead him into the forest. The lion was eager to find this other lion that claimed to be king. They walked to a stream and the lion felt impatient and could not wait any longer. He felt a rush in his body and was ready to attack any second. “I am so angry that I will attack the second I see him,” he thought.

All of a sudden the lion heard the rabbit screaming and pointing into the stream. “He is hiding in there.” The lion looked where the rabbit was pointing and there he saw a massive lion. “Wow, this lion looks just like me,” he thought. He still had that rush and instantly thought to attack this lion. He did not stop to think it was a stream, and as he jumped to attack, he fell in the water.

The rabbit laughed and walked away. “How can you be so foolish if you are king?” he thought.



Author’s note: This story is based on the original “How the Rabbit Killed the Lion.” In the original story the rabbit fooled the lion. The rabbit was scared that the lion might kill him so he thought lying was the only way he could get out of this mess. He told the lion that a devil that lived in a stream told him that she was stronger than the lion. At the end, the rabbit took the lion to a stream and lied to him that his reflection was the devil. He then attacked and drowned in the water.
I kept my story similar to this storyline. I thought it would be interesting to write this in the lion’s point of view. I wanted to express how and why the lion felt so superior.  I changed the devil character to be another lion because I wanted to create another conflict. He quickly forgot why he was angry in the first place and focused on the fact that there was another lion trying to take his place. I also wanted to keep this story short and sweet. By doing so, it shows how quickly one can be fooled and how anger can lead to situations like these. It also shows how deceiving the rabbit is.




Bibliography: Tibetan folk Tales by A.L. Shelton. Link to How the Rabbit Killed the Lion


9 comments:

  1. Hey Iab, this was a cool perspective that you gave to this story. I have not read the source story, however from your author's note I can tell why you would want to give the lion's perspective on the matter. In addition, I liked that you stayed fairly true to the original story as well as keeping the same characters (animals). I am always a fan of animal tales, as they seem easiest to follow. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Iab! So I haven't read the original story but I feel like I would like your version better. I think that writing in the point of view of the lion really shows how arrogant he was first hand. Your story flowed really well and it was very well written.Great job, I can"t wait to read more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Iab,

    I really liked your story. It was short and sweet, which is exactly the style that fables are written in. The trickery that the rabbit was able to pull off reminded me a lot of Aesop. I think I would have liked to see a little more at the end, but it was pretty good as is. I don't know if you were trying to take the perspective of the lion rather than the rabbit, but the rabbit being a trickster was surprising to me at the end. Good work on the story!

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lab! I really liked the way you wrote this story and the flow of your writing. It was funny to have the rabbit be the deceptive character even though the lion is what one would typically picture to be. I enjoyed it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I really like that you didn't change a lot about this story because I think the moral is a key part of it. What you did change, though, I feel made the story have more meaning and also be a tad more realistic, even though it's still not realistic, haha. I like being able to see it from the lion's perspective and know why he is the way he is. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Iab,
    I really like this story! I thought it was really entertaining and super cute! I like how the lion, who expected everyone to bow down to him and call him their king was outsmarted by the rabbit. I also really like how you changed the ending so that the lion didn't drown, he just fell in the water. I think you did a really good job making this story your own, while still keeping the basic plot and morals of the original story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was nice to hear the lion’s point of view in this story! I liked how you chose to include his inner dialog, and it really added depth to the story! You also did great with your descriptions. When you mentioned that the lion protected his kingdom from hyenas I definitely thought of The Lion King!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Lab, this was a fantastic story to read! You did a very good job I believe in changing the outcome of the story to a happier one. I think that you are right and killing the lion at the end would not be nice... Also the way you made him look foolish is even better because it shows him that he is actually a fool not being able to recognize himself on the water. Also a very good point was that the rabbit was very smart and brave because fooling the King can come with serious consequences. I wonder how the others will look at the lion now, if they will still consider him as their king or not. However, I think that you could have added more details in order to make the story a little bit more mysterious. Overall, you did a very good job with this story and I look forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! I really enjoyed your portfolio! You are the first person I have seen who has given the reader a table of content at the top of your portfolio! I thought it was a nice touch and it gave me a fun glimpse into what kind of stories you have! I really enjoyed your story! The lion is so arrogant and you showed that perfectly! I think you showed it perfectly how we can underestimate things that we feel are beneath us. I loved how the rabbit outsmarted the lion! If you ever want to write another story based off of this one you could definitely explore the character of the rabbit! I think he is a cunning trickster and a really fun character! Great job!

    ReplyDelete