Thursday, September 8, 2016

Story: Mother Wolf

(Wolf howling: Pixabay)

Once upon a time, there was a mother wolf that lived with her four baby wolves. They lived on a mountain in their wolf den. Mother wolf did what a typical mother would do: she found food for her kids, taught them, played with them, and most importantly she kept them safe. She had to work extra hard because she lost papa wolf to a huntsman. He sacrificed his life so she could get away and return to their four baby wolves.

One day, mother wolf was strolling along the mountain trying to find food and she came upon something surprising. She heard a distant cry but was not sure what it was. As she got closer, she noticed it was not food but it was a baby human. The baby was crying and mother wolf could tell that it was hungry. So many thoughts came across her mind. Ever since papa wolf died, she held a great grudge against humans. She thought, “Where are the parents? What if I take this baby in and when it gets older it will turn around and kill me? Am I betraying papa wolf? Will this baby hurt my baby wolves at home? Maybe this is a trap?”

As she was just about to leave, something inside of her would not let her. Mother wolf was such a caring and loving mother, she couldn’t imagine leaving this baby in the wilderness with nothing. This baby may be someone’s supper if she left. After debating, she decided to take the baby. When she got home, her baby wolves were all confused but she told them that this baby was their new sibling and his name was Ailbe. They all played together, ate together, and grew up together.

Many years flew by, and all of mother wolf’s babies grew. She was even more protective because she knew about the evil huntsmen. She told them to always be careful and watch out for one another.

One day, a hunter passed the wolves’ den and noticed something very different. He knew he saw wolves but one of them looked more like a human. He followed them and decided to capture that thing, which was Ailbe. Since Ailbe was not a wolf, he could not outrun the hunter. The hunter quickly grabbed him and flew away. Mother wolf heard a commotion outside and ran to see what it was. All she could hear was Ailbe crying for help. At that moment, mother wolf was furious and she had so many emotions running through her mind. She could not handle another human taking away someone she loved. She ran as fast as she could with her children right by her side. After many miles, mother wolf did not want to stop but her body would not go any further. All she could see was the hunter with her Ailbe disappearing.

Ever since that day, mother wolf has never been the same. She was very sad. Her children tried to make her laugh but it just wasn’t the same without Ailbe. She prayed each day for Ailbe to return but he never did. Many years passed, and mother wolf was still wondering where in this world Ailbe would be. She finally decided that she was going to go look for him.

As mother wolf entered a town nearby, she sensed something weird. All of a sudden, she noticed huntsmen running towards her and she heard loud sounds of horns. She thought to herself, “Oh no, I have to find Ailbe, and if that means dying then it will all be worth it.” She knew Ailbe had to be in that town but she just didn’t know where. As she was running through the town, the huntsmen were getting closer and closer to her. This brought back so many memories. Mother wolf started to think about the time when she was being chased by hunters which cost the life of papa wolf. It also brought back sad memories of when she was running after the hunter that took Ailbe.

Mother wolf could only run so far. As she knew she was about to get caught by the huntsmen, she called out a great howl. As soon as she called out that howl, she noticed a young man. He looked very different, but they had a quick connection. She recognized his eyes and was certain this was Ailbe. This young man demanded the huntsmen stop and not hurt the wolf at all.

As mother wolf walked up to Ailbe, he recognized her as well. He told mother wolf that he would protect her because she once protected him. He then explained to her that long ago, a prince took him away so now he is a Bishop. He promised to keep mother wolf and his brother wolves safe for now on. He also invited them every day to come eat at his palace so they can all eat as a family like before. Mother wolf was happy, not because she didn’t have to worry about finding food for her children, but because she found Ailbe, whom she loved the most. The humans and wolves then became really good friends and they all lived happily ever after together.


Author's Note: I was inspired to write this story after reading “The Wolf-Mother of Saint Ailbe.” I really liked how the story started and ended so I kept mine very similar to it. In my story, I wanted to focus on a character I found interesting. Mother wolf was a really big character when I first read this story so I wanted to turn this story around and explain it from her point of view. I thought it would be interesting to show how mother wolf felt and what she went through. I also added a character in my story, which was papa wolf. I added him because I wanted to show how great a wolf family’s love could be. I wanted to show that mother wolf still had memories of papa wolf and she was not willing to lose another loved one to the evil huntsmen.

I chose this story because I think it goes along well with the other story that I already have in my portfolio. In my other story “A Good Fortune,” two brothers are told to work together to find good fortune by their dying father. The loyal son continued to do what their father told them to but the careless son gave up and left. At the end, the loyal son became wealthy. The two stories are different because one is about a wolf family and the other is about a poor family, but they both send out a similar message. A parent’s love will never fail and sacrificing things will be worth it in the end.



Bibliography: The Book of Saints and Friendly Beasts by Abbie Farwell Brown. Link to The Wolf-Mother of Saint Ailbe

6 comments:

  1. There is definitely a special connection between mother and child, even if that child is adopted like Ailbe was. I thought the story was emotional and I really connected with the emotion the mother wolf was feeling. Nothing is worse than losing something, whether it is a family member or a material item. It feels unsettling, so I can assume that mother wolf felt very unsettled. I loved how you depicted her courage and that the courage was rewarded by finding Ailbe and protection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I already commented on your Introduction, I guess I comment on this story instead.

    I also read this story for week three, and I agree with you that in the story, Mother Wolf was one of the pivotal characters. I like how you decided to tell the story in her point of view rather than having it in a third person point of view. I think it would have been cool if you focused on her right after she could not run any longer after Ailbe. Seeing her emotions and feelings more developed would have made for a really great story and also explain her motivations for searching for her son many years later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve never read this story before, but I really liked hearing the mother wolf’s point of view. I think you did a great job in writing the bond between the mother wolf and Ailbe, and you were able to show how caring she is. I also thought it was interesting that the wolf ended up loving the human child over her own puppies! It was also successful when you made the story come full circle where the boy protects the wolf after she protected him for so long. The mother’s inner dialog was a nice touch too.

    Along with this you say “mother wolf was such a caring and loving mother…” and maybe you could take out the second “mother” so that it would be “mother wolf was caring and loving…”It think it would be less repetitive.

    Good luck on your portfolio!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't help but think of The Jungle Book while I was reading this story. You did a great job writing it and it was very interesting. The wolf's motherly instinct and pain when she lost someone was very well fleshed out. Great job with that! It was also pretty heartwarming to know that she had once taken care of the defenseless baby, and when she needed him most, he took care of her. Perhaps you could add more surprise and feelings rushing into her when she finally sees him since she missed him so much. Anyway, great job! I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the way you wrote this story- at first I was not sure how I felt about you choosing to write from the mother wolf's point of view, but, by the end, I am so happy with your decision. Her caring personality and many emotions showed just how gentile of an animal she was. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there! First of all, I really like the overall theme of your blog – the variety of colors kind of stood as a metaphor for the variety of stories that you were going to write throughout this semester and the stories you were going to include in your Portfolio! After glancing at the different stories in your Portfolio Introduction, I could tell that you did a great job of including a variety of different stories in your Portfolio. I decided to read the story, “Mother Wolf,” because the description kind of reminded me of the Jungle Book. I was not familiar with the version of the story, but after reading your Author’s Note, it sounded like you kept yours pretty similar to the original version of the story. I thought it was interesting how Mother wolf had a grudge against humans because of what happened to papa wolf – but then she ended up raising a human baby! Great job overall!!

    ReplyDelete